Using the App – Operation Instructions
Definition of the Reference Frequency
To define the reference frequency, please proceed as follows:
- Click or tap the tuning fork below the deviation meter.
- The app waits a few seconds. Sing or play one or more notes in the desired pitch. It does not matter which note or how many notes you play. You can e.g. just play something on the piano.
- As soon as the green progress bar appears, the measurement is taken. Just keep playing.
- At the end the measured frequency of the pitch A4 is displayed. If the tuning you are using deviates by more than a quarter tone from 440 Hz, e.g. at historical tunings, the frequency of adjacent semitones is displayed. This does not affect the correct functioning of the Choral Pitch Monitor.
You can also set the frequency manually, see below.
To change the settings of the app, click on the three bars in the upper right corner of the main window. This will open the settings dialog shown on the right. Here you have the following options:
- In the first line, you can manually change the title of the application, which appears in the header of the main screen.
- The app usually selects the default language of your device. You can also manually select the language here.
- The app usually chooses the default audio device for recording, usually the microphone. You can also manually select the audio source. The list will then show the audio devices provided by your operating system.
- To check whether the app actually receives an audio signal, there is a narrow bar above the selection box which indicates the audio amplitude (VU meter).
- Here you can set the reference frequency manually.
- This item allows you to set the warning threshold at which the red or blue arrows appear.
- Here you can activate and deactivate the noise detection module. This allows the app to be active during singing and to stop when people are talking. On the main screen, this is indicated by a green or red dot.
- Use this slider to control the sensitivity of the noise detection.
- This slider controls the agility of the display. Moving it to the left, the needle of the meter is strongly damped and moves only slowly. Moving it to the right, the meter reacts quickly but also becomes more susceptible to noise.
- Use this button to reset all settings to default values.
The settings are saved locally when leaving the app and are available again when restarted.